So, what am I going to put on my list this year? What will I not accomplish by the end of the year? What will I look back on and say to myself that I should have followed through?
My NYR List:
- Dress better. I have always worn clothing that is not what someone who wants to get ahead in life wears. Case in point, I sometimes wear clothing that is not ironed or not very professional to work. I have often worn clothing that does not indicate my status in life, middle class white male in a white collar job. True, I am in the tech industry and the jobs that I have held did not necessarily require me to wear my best duds, but that should not have stopped me from dressing better.
- Communication. I need to improve my level of communication in my personal as well as professional life. Often I have failed to talk to my fellow coworkers because I could care less what they have to say or if they had any impact on what I was trying to do at work.
- Lose weight. I have a family history of obesity and a myriad of health issues that accompany being overweight.
- Exercise more. This dovetails into NYR number 3. I have often felt better after exercising and have fallen off the exercise bandwagon in the past...look where it has gotten me now. Overweight.
- Eat healthier. A recent trip to the doctor for my yearly physical showed that I have high triglycerides. In order to get these numbers down, I need to exercise, lose weight, and eat healthier. (I guess that goes without saying....but I had to say it so that I would realize it.)